A lot has been written about resilience, particularly since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Unfortunately, much of what’s out there is either too fluffy, abstract, or narrow to help you get started in a meaningful way.
As a result, I created my own library of resources to help you become more resilient.
What you’ll find below:
An in-depth guide to becoming more resilient
A workbook of essential resilience practices
Inspiring interviews with real-life survivors
Additional resources to help you keep growing
Want to go deep on resilience?
Does your mind crave structure and order?
This in-depth guide was written for left-brained thinkers – the MBAs, consultants, and other professionals who appreciate bringing order out of chaos.
Take a look:
The Resilience Workbook
Download The Resilience Workbook and start changing your life 10 minutes at a time.
Sign up for the newsletter now and I’ll send you the book for free.
Resilience in action
Want to hear from real people who found a way to thrive in the face of adversity?
Season 1 of the Reinvented podcast explores amazing stories of overcoming adversity.
Here are a few of my favorite stories:
Sense of purpose
“You don’t just love the person because you love them. You accept that they are non-permanent, just like you are. Just like everything is. That added this richness, and frankly beauty, to how I loved my kids and how I love people in my life.”
“Your friendship is forged through disease. Your friendship has come through this crazy time…
I feel no shame or fear in being completely honest with these people. And that’s super crazy liberating to have that.”
Faith and hope
“To be frank, the biggest source of
[resilience for me was] my faith. I’m a Christian and that faith background gives me a very strong foundation of hope.”
Want to go even deeper on adversity, resilience, and post-traumatic growth?
I’ve included an ever-growing library of resources below for you to look through.
These are some of my favorite books about resilience:
- Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster by Rebecca Solnit
- Resilience: Why Things Bounce Back by Andrew Zolli and Ann Marie Healy
- Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
- Upside: The New Science of Post-Traumatic Growth by Jim Rendon
- What Doesn’t Kill Us: The New Psychology of Posttraumatic Growth by Stephen Joseph
- The Obstacle is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- “5 strategies for cultivating hope this year” by Jacqueline S. Mattis at The Conversation, January 8, 2021
- “I’m a survivor! How resilience became the quality we all crave” by Emine Saner at The Guardian, November 24, 2020
- “How people learn to become resilient” by Maria Konnikova in The New Yorker, February 11, 2016
- “Building your resilience” by the American Psychological Association, 2012
- “How to raise resilient kids” by Julia Pelly in Time, March 2, 2021
- “Why you shouldn’t always look on the bright side” by Gwen Moran at Fast Company, November 19, 2020
- “Time to ditch ‘toxic positivity,’ experts say: ‘It’s okay not to be okay’” by Allyson Chiu at The Washington Post, August 19, 2020
- “The coronavirus and post-traumatic growth” by Steve Taylor at Scientific American, April 19, 2020
- “Why is nature so good for your mental health?” by Jill Suttie in Greater Good Magazine, April 19, 2019
- “Cancer at 30: Reflections on Post-Traumatic Growth” by Chris Bordoni at chrisbordoni.com, May 17, 2019
- “How Resilience Works” by Diane Coutu in Harvard Business Review, May 2002
- “Becoming an All-Weather Company” by the BCG Henderson Institute at BCG.com, September 9, 2020
- “A guide to building a more resilient business” by Reeves and Whitaker at HBR.org, July 2, 2020
- “To Combat Adversity, Resilient Nonprofits Think Long and Short” by Meera Chary and Bill Breen at Bridgespan.org
- “The high price of efficiency” by Roger L. Martin in Harvard Business Review, January-February 2019
- “Redefining customer experience: connecting in the time of Covid-19” by Olaf Acker at Strategy + Business, April 20, 2020
- “WWII-like mobilization thrusts private sector into virus fight” by Ethan Bronner at Bloomberg, March 20, 2020
- “Starting this weekend, Walmart is converting its parking lots into free drive-in theaters” by Elaa Elassar at CNN.com, August 15, 2020
- “Crisis can spark transformation and Renewal” by Lars Faeste et al at BCG.com, April 14, 2020
Have a suggestion of your own? Send me an e-mail!