Today, I speak with Father James Martin, a Jesuit priest and author of Learning to Pray.
You may recognize Father Jim from his appearances on The Colbert Report. You may also have seen the handwritten letter he received from Pope Francis encouraging him to continue his outreach to the LGBT community.
In this conversation, we talk about the power of prayer and simple ways to incorporate prayer into your life.
0:50 – What is prayer, why pray, and being called to prayer
5:35 – Prayer as a relationship
10:05 – My (unintentional) experiences with prayer
13:40 – The still, small voice
15:35 – How to pray and the examination of conscience
20:25 – Discernment, Part 1: When is it God talking?
27:15 – Discernment, Part 2: How to choose between A and B
32:50 – How to introduce God and spirituality to children
37:15 – Where to go to learn more
- Learning to Pray: A Guide For Everyone by James Martin, SJ
- The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything: A Spirituality for Real Life by James Martin, SJ
- Father James Martin on Twitter
- Father Martin’s writings at America Magazine
- “There is No Right Way to Pray” Father James Martin on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
- “Pope Francis encourages Jesuit Father James Martin in his L.G.B.T. ministry” by Gerard O’Connell at America Magazine
- “God and You: Prayer as a Personal Relationship” by William A. Barry
- “Praying Our Goodbyes” by Joyce Rupp
- Spiritual Directors International website