The following is a free guide for hosting a single Mastermind session. For more information on Masterminds, please start here. If you’d like to join an upcoming Mastermind, please sign up here.
Date: September 17, 2020
Theme: Resilience in organizations
Prompt: How can organizations become more resilient? What lessons have we learned from Covid-19? And do the insights and lessons from personal resilience translate to businesses?
- “Building your resilience” by the American Psychological Association, 2012
- “Nassim Taleb: A definition of Antifragile and its implications” at Farnam Street
- “A guide to building a more resilience business” by Reeves and Whitaker at HBR.org, July 2, 2020
- “Redefining customer experience: Connecting in the time of Covid-19” by Olaf Acker at Strategy + Business, April 20, 2020
- “WWII-Like Mobilization Thrusts Private Sector Into Virus Fight” by Ethan Bronner at Bloomberg, March 20, 2020
- “Starting this weekend, Walmart is converting its parking lots into free drive-in theaters” by Elaa Elassar at CNN.com, August 15, 2020
Pre-work: Read what you can and come prepared to discuss the topic.
- What does resilience mean to you?
- What stood out to you from the readings?
- What’s the biggest source of risk for organizations? What are examples of organizations that failed because they were not resilient?
- How has this changed during Covid-19?
- What factors are “protective” for individuals? How does this translate to organizations?
- How might organizations proactively train to become more resilient? Does this happen in practice? If not, why not?
- Do organizations need to experience failure to become more resilient?